Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to the most common questions we receive.
This resource is divided into three areas:


About the Body Therapy Institute

How long has BTI been in business?
BTI was founded in 1983 by Rick Rosen, and was the very first school of massage therapy in the Carolinas. You can get a perspective on the evolution of BTI over the years on the History page. The school has been co-owned and directed by Rick Rosen and Carey Smith since 1993.

What does BTI offer?
BTI graduated the last class from its renowned Massage Therapy Diploma Program in November 2016, and will focus solely on continuing education and advanced training in 2017.

What makes your school special?
Our “secret” for success is straightforward: we offer educational programs of exceptional quality, taught by some of the most highly-trained faculty members in the country, and it all happens in a spectacular natural setting for learning and healing.

How can I get a massage in your Student Clinic?
The BTI Student Massage Clinic is no longer in operation, as we have sunset the Massage Therapy Diploma Program. You may contact the BTI Office if you are seeking a referral to a professional therapist.

Can I come out and visit the school and see the campus?
The office is on a limited schedule in 2017, so you will need to email <> at least a week in advance of when you’d like to visit.

South Wind Farm

Why is your school out in the country?
Quite simply, we believe in the healing and transformative power of nature. Over the years, we have observed that the learning process of our students is greatly enhanced by the natural environment of South Wind Farm. It is our intention to provide an oasis of relaxation, replenishment and beauty for all who come here.

Where is your campus?
South Wind Farm is located in Chatham County in the heart of the Piedmont region of North Carolina. We are about halfway between the Raleigh | Durham | Chapel Hill TRIANGLE, and the Greensboro | Winston-Salem | High Point TRIAD. To our East lies the Atlantic Ocean, and the Blue Ridge Mountains are to our West.

Can I use an Internet-based mapping site or my GPS to find my way there?
We strongly recommend that you use the Driving Directions we have on the BTI Website. From experience, we have found that Internet resources such as Mapquest, Google Maps or Yahoo Maps – as well as GPS devices – sometimes show very circuitous and lengthy routes to get to our rural location. We’ve mapped out and described the shortest and easiest routes from all directions, and put it on our site.

Is your place a working farm?
Our property was a working farm in years past, and is part of the historic Chatham County farming community called Silk Hope that was founded more than 260 years ago by Quakers. Today, a local family cuts hay from our meadow to supply feed for livestock.

Do you offer camping?
BTI no longer offers camping. We provide an Accommodations List with area lodging for those attending continuing education workshops.

Massage Therapy Regulation

Do I have to be licensed to practice massage in North Carolina?
Yes. The NC Massage and Bodywork Therapy Practice Act became law in 1998, which requires licensure. The General Assembly passed this law “to ensure the protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of this State receiving massage and bodywork therapy services.“

How do I get a license?
Licensure is granted by the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy, with offices in Raleigh. For applicants within North Carolina, you have to graduate from a Board-approved massage school, and pass a national examination accepted by the Board. Visit the Board’s website at for complete information on licensure requirements and application process, or to download a copy of the Board’s laws and rules.

Do I have to be Nationally Certified to get licensed in NC?
No. Amendments to the Practice Act made in 2008 removed this requirement. In-state applicants for licensure must pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (given by FSMTB). As of January 2011, the certification exam given by NCBTMB is only recognized for applicants coming into North Carolina from a state that does not have a license law in place.

Is continuing education required for license renewal?
Yes it is. The Board requires a minimum of 24 hours of continuing education every two years. BTI is an Approved Continuing Education Provider, and offers an extensive schedule of workshops and advanced training programs each year.

I’m a licensed massage therapist from another state and want to relocate to North Carolina – what do I have to do to get a license?
There is a provision in the Practice Act for Licensure by Endorsement, designed to accommodate out-of-state practitioners who want licensure in North Carolina. Visit the Board’s website at to get the specific requirements.

I have a NC massage license and plan to go to another state – can I get a license through reciprocity without having to take another test?
Because of the differences among each state’s license laws, there is little actual reciprocity in the massage profession today. All licensure states require at least 500 hours of massage education, and most require passage of a national board exam. You’ll need to review the exact criteria of a particular state to see if you meet its licensure requirements.